Friday 16 November 2012

The Poorest President


Meet Jose Mujica he is from  Uruguay and he is the poorest president in the world:


This austere lifestyle – and the fact that Mujica donates about 90% of his monthly salary, equivalent to $12,000 (£7,500), to charity – has led him to be labelled the poorest president in the world. “I may appear to be an eccentric old man… But this is a free choice.

 I’ve lived like this most of my life,” he says, sitting on an old chair in his garden, using a cushion favoured by Manuela the dog. “I can live well with what I have.” His charitable donations – which benefit poor people and small entrepreneurs – mean his salary is roughly in line with the average Uruguayan income of $775 (£485) a month.

All the president’s wealth is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was $1,800 (£1,100), the value of his 1987 Volkswagen Beetle.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Na wa O! this going to the extreme

Anonymous said...

This man has a lot of guts,i cant even try this if I were to be a president

Anonymous said...

I bet you this man might not be religious but he plays the role better than most pastors or leaders in our churches